This page has moved to a new address.

kick start day 1

lime doodle: kick start day 1

17 September 2012

kick start day 1



Yep, I couldn't resist another Online Card Class! This type it's called Kick Start and is aimed at getting you out of the inspiration slumps that we all get at times. I find applying myself to these classes really helps me to think more about how I'm creating rather than sticking to the same formula all the time. I'm hoping to post along with the classes as much as possible; here's crossing my fingers that I find the time :)

So today's class talked about finding inspiration and cataloging it. Let me deal with the latter first. I always have a word document open on my laptop. When I see something inspiring I copy the image to the document along with a few notes on where the inspiration was found and what element particularly caught my eye. Then when I need a little kick start I browse through the images and notes. For me this usually gets me out of my rut and back to the craft table!

As for inspiration, you should see the list of subscriptions in my Google Reader! I find browsing through blogland to be both inspiring and relaxing. For an added boost I love challenges and a favourite place to pop by is Moxie Fab World where you can usually find several ongoing challenges listed down the right side bar of their blog. Today I was inspired by the Jars of Joy challenge. In particular the coloured and patterned jars Cath highlighted such as these beauties:



This image inspired me to grab my latest favourite pad of patterned paper some stamps and dies and came up with this card.





The jars were obviously inspired by the above challenge but while browsing around Moxie, the card base paired with hints of blue were picked up from the current Tuesday Trigger although my colours were more muted. Finally, combining multiple jars in the card fitted with their look at the use of repetition in design. As you can see I find Moxie to be really inspiring!

Here's a little about my card. I white embossed the jar image onto patterned papers and die cut out. I die cut from cream card the flower image and coloured the stem with peeled paint Distress Ink then added multiple flower heads cut from more patterned papers. For the card base I used a base of Stampin' Up's summer starfruit over which I popped up a cream panel I'd stamped with Versamark Ink with Hero Arts newspaper background and then rubbed around the edges with antique linen Distress Ink. In the photo above if you look carefully you can just about see the newsprint but in real life it adds a lovely touch. I layered the jar images over the cream panel popping up the foremost one and adding a bit of twine and a die cut word.

Wow, this has been quite a wordy post for me LOL! Hopefully I will be back with more "homework" from my class but maybe shorter ones from now on :)

Supplies: Stamps - Stampin' Up perfectly preserved, Hero Arts newspaper background; Inks - Versamark, Distress Inks antique linen, peeled paint; Card - Stampin' Up summer starfruit, confetti white; Dies - Stampin' Up cannery set, Memory Box prim poppy, Simon Says Stamp oh happy day; Stampin' Up twine, Paper - My Mind's Eye the sweetest thing bluebell

35 Comments:

At 17 September 2012 at 20:44 , Blogger Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

So gorgeous!!!!!

 
At 17 September 2012 at 20:50 , Blogger Deb said...

Simply gorgeous, Debby! I just can't imagine you being in a craft rut!!

 
At 17 September 2012 at 20:54 , Blogger craftyb said...

Love it!

 
At 17 September 2012 at 21:09 , Blogger Aimes said...

Just jaw-droppingly amazing, Debby! Can I just access your brain when I'm in a craft rut?! ;D
Oh this whole role reversal is taking its toll. Is it half term yet?! LOL!
Hugs!
x

 
At 17 September 2012 at 21:32 , Blogger Carole said...

Nice to see you back posting cards on the on-line classes gallery! I love your creation today and the additional ideas on how to document inspiration. Looking forward to this fab class. Hugs C x

 
At 17 September 2012 at 21:33 , Blogger Kathy Rosecrans said...

Gorgeous!! I can't stop looking at your card!

 
At 17 September 2012 at 21:50 , Blogger Mandy said...

Debby, this card is fabulous, really love the jars!

xx

 
At 17 September 2012 at 22:07 , Blogger Tania A said...

Absolutely stunning! Just wandered over from OCC and spotted your gorgeous card! Love your work! Tania x

 
At 17 September 2012 at 22:43 , Blogger Lynn said...

Debby, So stunning...and thank you for sharing the class with us. I LOVE these classes, but am traveling this week for work and I wanted to take it "on time" and be able to create as I go...so love your card and thank you for sharing what you are learning! I really appreciate it!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 01:08 , Blogger Dixie Cochran said...

Wow! That's a stunner of a card!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 01:52 , Blogger Cindy C. said...

This is a gorgeous card Debby. MFW is also my frequent stop to get inspiration. BTW I am your classmate in KickStart.

 
At 18 September 2012 at 01:58 , Blogger canadian_liner said...

Absolutely beautiful card, Debby. Stamping the jar images in white is perfect! Those Online Card Classes really are great, and seem to be working for you! It sounds like you've developed your own version of Pinterest, for cataloguing inspiring items you come across. Always fun to visit your blog.

 
At 18 September 2012 at 02:51 , Blogger Penny Ward said...

Your jars are just too adorable!!!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 02:54 , Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi Debby. I am a big fan of your work. Love this card!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 05:01 , Blogger Nancy K said...

Love where you went with the inspiration, your card is really lovely. Great choice of PP and the poppy die cut is the perfect finish!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 07:16 , Blogger Lisa Stenz said...

BEAUTIFUL! :)

 
At 18 September 2012 at 16:39 , Blogger Deb Walker Deb Stamps Life, LLC said...

Such a lovely take on the challenge Debby. Colors and textures of a soft, Indian Summer afternoon.

 
At 18 September 2012 at 17:44 , Blogger Gretchen Wilson said...

Love it.

 
At 18 September 2012 at 22:25 , Blogger aaga said...

I'm taking the class, too. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 19 September 2012 at 03:49 , Blogger Merilee Lane said...

Darling! I just love it!

Merilee

 
At 19 September 2012 at 07:41 , Blogger donna mikasa said...

such a perfect take on the challenge! love this! the colors, the design--love!

 
At 20 September 2012 at 00:23 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE your card! I too am entering this challenge, but don't think my project will hold a candle to yours!

 
At 20 September 2012 at 14:57 , Blogger Wendy said...

Oh! my goodness Debby this is darling. Love everything about this card...the colors are just so perfect too.

 
At 21 September 2012 at 13:07 , Blogger Lin said...

Love this, Debby - I think I spy a winner!

 
At 21 September 2012 at 22:19 , Blogger Kim H. said...

Completely in love with this card! You are SO talented!!!!

 
At 23 September 2012 at 17:32 , Blogger Chriss Blagrave said...

Completely in love with this too! Wonderful soft colours and great dimension!

 
At 24 September 2012 at 02:59 , Blogger Michelle said...

simply amazing!!!!

 
At 24 September 2012 at 15:04 , Blogger Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Debby! Thanks for linking this up to the Repetition Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

 
At 27 September 2012 at 00:56 , Blogger Kelly Griglione said...

Now this just makes me "happy"! Again with the colors, I'm so in love!

 
At 28 September 2012 at 16:11 , Blogger Carole said...

That is a show stopper, so soft and muted the colors whisper sweet and lovely. I love how the one jar is off to the side of the layer. Love your work Debby

 
At 3 October 2012 at 20:55 , Blogger Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Debby! Thanks also for linking this up to the Jars of Joy Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

 
At 10 October 2012 at 01:16 , Blogger BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL card! I LOVE how you did your jars and added the flowers!!!

 
At 11 October 2012 at 14:58 , Blogger Dorothy C. said...

So happy your card got picked for the Jars of Joy Challenge as it was my favorite.

 
At 15 October 2012 at 02:44 , Blogger Lyndal said...

PERFECTLY FAB Debby - HUGE Congrats for your Moxie Fab shout out too :) :) :)

 
At 15 October 2012 at 20:10 , Blogger Ramona said...

absolutely beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home